Continuing to provide caring, competent, leadership for the Leon County School System
- School safety is the first priority in every aspect of learning.
- Place students first, value every individual and provide a positive and effective learning environment.
- Increase initiatives to recruit, hire and retain qualified teachers.
- Enhance and increase guidance counseling and mental health services for students.
- Establish and increase initiatives to promote diversity and a multicultural curriculum.
- Continue to provides assistance to academically challenged students.
- Enhance benefits and increase salaries for school personnel.
- Continue to raise graduation rates and close the achievement gap.
- Promote the development of positive relationship between parents and schools and increase parent participation in school activities. Increase workshops on family skills and literacy programs.
- Increase mentoring and volunteer opportunities.
- Promote equity in the distribution of resources for all schools.
- Focus on ninth grade retention to help reduce the dropout rate and reduce chronic absenteeism. Students cannot learn if they are not in school.
- Improve the district’s transportation system.
- Encourage links with post-secondary institutions, teacher training programs and enhance curriculum to meet needs of diverse learners and learning styles.
- Establish initiatives to reduce suspensions and expulsions.
- Focus on coding as a part of literacy training beginning at kindergarten and the exploration of e-learning and its effectiveness and adaptive learning that allows students to focus on their interest as well as receive extra support if needed.
- Re-introduce programs in elementary and middle schools that promote awareness of the dangers of drug and alcohol use and abuse.
- Developed a high technology corridor through Riley Elementary, Griffin Middle, and Godby High school.
- Served five times as Chair of the Leon County School Board.
- Former president of the Florida School Board Association which is the voice of education for the 67 counties in the State of Florida.
- Actively supported and increased counseling services.
- Focused on comprehensive reading programs and children’s ability to read.
- Actively maintained open lines of communication and participation in school activities.
- Encouraged the development of character education in schools.
- Provided leadership in enhancing staff development in diversity education.
- Recognized by colleagues for leadership ability.
- Maintained balanced budget with substantial reserve each year despite state
- Influenced the decision to provide additional school safety resources and officers.
- Raised accountability in schools.
- Fostered increased communication throughout
- Supported and articulated the need for curriculum initiatives for alternative programs.
- Liaison to Tallahassee Museum of History and Natural Science.
- Liaison to County Commission and District Advisory Council.
- Provided Board leadership in addressing state financial funding cuts.
- Instrumental in ensuring that the District retain Advanced Accreditation.
- Insistent on the infusion of culturally relevant education throughout the district.
- Implementation of a myriad of strategies that led to the achievement gap decrease.
- Reviewed and revamped processes for LCS Small Business Enterprise.
- Ensured that the District earned and retained African American History Exemplary status.
- Supported programs that have served to increase the number of industry level certified secondary education students.
A.A. General Studies | Jackson Junior College
B.S. Sociology | FAMU
M. ED. Counseling | FAMU
TEACHING AND LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- Associate Dean of Students
- Director of Multicultural Affairs
Tallahassee Community College, Tallahassee, FL
Morris College, Sumter, SC
- Dean of Women
Carver Junior High School, Boone High School, and Jones High School, Orlando, FL
LEADERSHIP AND SERVICE ACTIVITIES
Girl Scouts | March of Dimes| Florida Personnel and Guidance Association | National Association of Student Personnel Administrators | Delta Sigma Theta Sorority ~ Tallahassee Alumnae Chapter Past President | National Council of Negro Women Past President | Tallahassee Urban League | NAACP | Member of Bethel Missionary Baptist Church | League of Women Voters | National Hook up of Black Women Tallahassee | National Association of University Women | 1998 Martin Luther King Jr., Distinguished Service Award at FSU | Employee Assistance Program Advisory Board at FSU | Zonta International Board Member | Appointed by Former Governor Charlie Christ to State Wide Child Abuse Prevention Committee | Board Member Special Olympics Florida-Leon County Management Team